Royal Society for Protection of Nature
Royal Society for Protection of Nature (RSPN) is the only Bhutanese wildlife conservation organisation. It has worked tirelessly for the past 30 years to monitor and understand the White-bellied Heron, seeking to protect it from emerging threats in the country.
We have supported RSPN with various initiatives:
- Training staff in captive breeding and chick rearing techniques in partnership with Prague and Zlin Zoos in Europe (this is a multi-year programme)
- Funding an expert to attend the WBH Captive Breeding Advisory Committee in Bhutan (this is an annual commitment)
- Funding and providing expertise for tagging wild birds with satellite transmitters and coloured tags which helps identify and understand species dispersal and mortality patterns (this is a multi-year programme)
- Funding a study to identify the genetic composition of the Bhutanese WBH population (single grant)
- Supporting an RSPN staff member to obtain further qualifications in the field of Ecology and Conservation at Yale University (two-year grant)