The purpose of this policy
To fulfil our charitable aims and objectives we need to communicate with a range of people in a variety of ways: face to face, via post, telephone or electronic mail, on social media and through our website. To be effective, we need to collect and store data provided to us by donors, potential donors, supporters of our work, visitors to our website, guests at our events, conservation partners (grantees) and suppliers. This data will always and only be used to further our charitable aim: to conserve threatened species and ecosystems.
This policy explains the nature of the personal data we collect and why we collect it. Our aim is to ensure that we are transparent and honest about the data we collect, and to give users better understanding and control over the data we maintain about them.
Changes to data protection laws for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) are designed to better protect an individual’s privacy and rights regarding the use of their data. Synchronicity Earth is fully committed to protecting the privacy and security of everybody we communicate with.
What is personal data?
The Information Commissioner’s Office identifies personal information as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier.’ An identifier could be a name, email address, telephone number, social media handle, photograph, address, payment details, organisational affiliation etc.
What personal data do we collect?
We collect data you knowingly and voluntarily give to us, including information you provide when you register for our newsletter, make a donation, communicate with us – through a face to face meeting or via email or post, attend one of our events, use our website or interact with us on social media. This data may include:
- Personal details (name, email address, telephone contacts and postal address)
- Financial information, such as gift aid information
- Details of your interests and preferences, such as programme and event interests
- Organisational affiliation
We also maintain a record of your activities and involvement with Synchronicity Earth so that we have a history of event attendances, donations, interests and enquiries. This assists us in improving our communications.
Why do we collect personal data?
As an environmental charity, our key goals are to bring more funding into nature conservation and raise awareness of the connections we share with the natural world. To do this, we need to keep our supporters up to date with our work, we need to engage in fundraising and awareness raising activities, which depend on us developing and maintaining open channels of communication with various individuals and organisations. We collect personal data in order to:
- Maintain a list of people who have donated to us before so we can keep them updated on the impact of their donation;
- maintain a record of individuals from whom we are able to claim gift aid;
- keep information on donors up to date;
- keep donors and supporters informed of events we are running which we think will be of interest to them;
- keep a record of donors who we think may wish to donate to our work in future;
- keep supporters, donors and anybody who has shown an interest in our work (e.g. through signing up for our newsletter, adding an email address to a list at one of our events) up to date with our latest news;
- monitor usage of our website and social media output, evaluate and improve the content on our website;
- analysis: We may carry out analysis on our supporters and donors to determine the success of our fundraising and events to inform our approach and understand how we can improve our communications and fundraising strategy;
- maintain a list of people who we are in regular communication with;
- maintain a list of people who have opted out of any of our communications so we know not to contact them.