Synchronicity Earth has worked with Well Grounded for a number of years in a non-funding capacity (Well Grounded introduced us to several of our partners: Reseau CREF, DGPA, FLAG and Mbou Mon Tour). In 2016 we supported Well Grounded to run a workshop with Mbou Mon Tour to help understand community needs and solutions.
African civil society groups are underfunded and overstretched and they often struggle to develop strategies and systems to improve their effectiveness. The international funder community contributes to this situation as funders don’t typically invest in core support for organisations and often expect immediate results over short term project cycles. They also often support ineffective and top down ‘capacity building’ which doesn’t always address organisational needs.
Well Grounded works across the Congo Basin to provide organisation development support to civil society organisations so they have real and sustainable impacts on natural resource governance and community rights. It also connects organisations in the region to build a strong civil society voice. Well Grounded’s approach is based on a series of eight ‘benchmarks’ that together reflect the pillars of a strong organisation:
- A vision aimed at environmental and social justice.
- Programmes, projects and campaigns based on evidence and analysis, with clear rationales.
- Accountable and responsive to the communities and groups with which the organisation is working.
- A functioning internal system of governance that is transparent and reflects the vision and values of the organisation.
- Mobilise and manage resources needed responsibly and transparently, accounting for them clearly and on time.
- Provide appropriate management and support for the people involved in the organisation.
- Work to the highest possible ethical standards.
- Open and ready to learn from experience and from others and to work with others.
Synchronicity Earth Lead Contact: Merlin Veron