Today is the 43rd annual Earth Day. Across the globe, over 1 billion people in 192 countries will be participating.
Last year some of the efforts included:
• In Iraq 5 million trees were planted
• In Sultanate, Oman every school (7000+) was called upon to take part in environmental actions
• In Madhya Pradesh, India free energy efficient solar lamps were given out to villagers
• In Sao Paulo, Brazil hundreds of skateboarders took to the streets to promote long boarding as an eco-friendly method of transportation
• In Dushanbe, Tajikistan a team of local NGOs led a community clean-up of local playgrounds.
This year we have already seen reports of some of the actions taking place across the globe including a march in Surabaya, Indonesia on the 22nd April by Environmental activists, including members of Indonesian Environmental Rides and fishermen groups. Google has created an interactive doodle.
So what will you be doing for Earth Day this year? You can keep track of some of the actions taking place all across the globe here.